Body Contouring After Weight Loss Surgery
Many of my bariatric surgery patients ask, "What do I do about the excess skin after I lose all of this weight?"
The bottom line is that about 25% of my patients, who have bariatric surgery, go on to have reconstructive surgery to their abdominal wall. Others may have surgery to address removal of the excess skin in their upper arms or legs. The other 75% of patients though don't undergo body contouring proceedures. Whether or not patients have or need plastic surgery really depends on the individual.
Ways to predict whether or not a patient will need excess skin removed depends on several factors. I take into consideration a persons build, where weight is carried, a persons age and their overall sun exposure. It's very difficult to predict an end result though.
I've had patients that have lost a great deal of weight who don't need body contouring surgery. I've also seen patients who have lost a small amount of weight, that could definetly use the help of a plastic surgeon.
Before having body contouring proceedures though, I always ask patients to carefully choose their plastic surgeon. There are some who have a great deal of experience in body contouring after weight loss and some plastic surgeons that work directly with bariatric programs. Experience is always helpful for the best results. Finding a board certified plastic surgeon is also important.
I tell may patients not to be in a rush though. Wait until baseline weight is reached before deciding if body countouring is the right option. Many of my patients are pleasantly surprised with their weight loss and how their skin has changed. Many never undergo body contouring proceedures are are very happy with their weight loss success!
This article is part of an ongoing Q&A video series that allows Doc Pop to discuss common bariatric surgery questions. The series is meant to be educational; always speak with your physician or medical care provider before going through any medical treatments. To see the entire video "Body Contouring After Weight Loss Surgery" and other helpful educational videos, please visit the DrPoplawski YouTube channel.